Thursday 11 December 2014

Don't let the Holidays get the best of you: Frugal Ways to De-Stress and Relax

If you look back to 50 years ago, one thing that will be notice was the simplicity of life that people were living. No one had cell phones or tablets, and computers weren’t a household device. Dinners were eaten as a family and life just seemed much simpler. With the evolution of technology, things took a turn. Today, you can't walk a block without seeing at least a handful of people on their cell phones. People are living lives that are way too busy, failing to realize that all we are doing is harming our minds and wellbeing. We are always too busy to engage with family and friends, but find the time to text and make daily social media statuses. Let’s be clear, I’m not saying that this lifestyle is wrong, but what I want to get across is that sometimes, once in a while it’s okay to unwind and relax from the bustling world we live in. It’s a good thing to disconnect from technology and just live in the moment, only then will we appreciate our surroundings and lives that much more.

Personally, my regular schedule doesn’t allow for much free time. My days are packed with seeing patients, travelling to host seminars around the world and attending my kids’ activities. I don’t mind the "on the go lifestyle", but sometimes it’s good to unwind and just step back from the hectic life we live. I try to give myself a day out of the month to just dedicate to myself, whether that means doing something I enjoy or something as simple as not taking too much on.

Time to relax doesn’t have to be a luxurious vacations, there are plenty of simple things you can do to clear your mind. One of my favourite ones is to turn off my phone, inconceivable to some I know, but sometimes it’s necessary!! This may seem "trivial" but believe me when I say there is a sense of freedom in turning off your phone and knowing that in that moment you are disconnected from the world. Of course this isn’t something I always do but once in a while I like to be unreachable.

I also enjoy taking long walks and hikes on my own and clearing my mind. There is something to be said about taking strolls through nature’s trail and taking in the fresh air and calming serenity. Nature truly is a beautiful thing and I highly recommend taking some time out of your day to just breathe in the fresh air and just be in your own headspace. You can take this time to reflect and really open your eyes to enjoy your surroundings.

Some other ways to just free your mind of the all the burden in your life can include: meditation, exercise, sleep, looking at old photo albums, write in a journal or even for those with the time, booking last minute travel deals and just visiting somewhere new and exotic. It’s all about what works for you.

We are, and for the most part, always will be busy. It’s inevitable. What isn’t, is finding the time to loosen up and put your feet up both literal and metaphorically and just enjoy the fruits of your labor. Everyone has a few minutes throughout the day to just sit back and relax; you’ll be doing your mind, body and soul a favor by just, for one moment today, breathing and taking it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment